Friday, June 18, 2010

Connectivity


I just finished a post here about our first ever heart-kidney transplant. It was an amazing story to be a part of, from meeting the family to filming the kidney transplant, and this is one of the reasons I like working in social media for health care.

Another reason is the connection that is made between people. The personal connection with the patients. The professional connection with the doctors and nurses, coordinators and dietitians. The connection between departments, facilities and hospitals. There are people and stories and memories that have enriched my existence, and lessons I've learned that I apply in many facets of my life.

The scale of humanity's connectedness is tremendous and miniscule all at the same time. In transplant, you have a large collective of people all working together to make sure that one patient receives the organ they need to survive. You also have a few people in the operating room, one of them making a small stitch in a kidney to connect it to that one patient.

Okay, I think I've reached my metaphysical limit for the week. Below is a taste of what we're putting together to tell Jonathan's amazing story.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree -- I think those who are most successful with social media know how to continue the relationships offline. Interpersonal skills have, interestingly, become even more important while many of us meet and get to know most of our network online.

    ReplyDelete